Texas Ranger's slugger Josh Hamilton (pictured above) has put the Arlington boys on his back all year. Can he lead them to the World Series title?
Welcome to the 2nd annual “Weekly Nickel.” Last week, due to popular demand, I decided to provide a list of the top 5 sporting events to occur during the upcoming week. So this week I will once again deliver on this requested subject matter.
Now my top 5, may not be the same as yours. That is perfectly fine, but please let me hear your thoughts on what your version of the “Weekly Nickel” should be.
5. NHL hockey is in full swing folks. I know the sport is not as followed as the traditional Big 3, but games are still very exciting nonetheless. Tune in and watch Sid the Kid or Alex Ovechkin continue to transform the sport as we know it.
4. The NFL rumbles and stumbles into Week 8. There are two matchups that deserve extra mention in my eyes. First of all the two teams I picked to play in the Super Bowl, go to battle in the Meadowlands. The underachieving and injury riddled Cheeseheads head to New York to take on a very tough New York Jets team. The other major game is the Monday Night matchup. Can Peyton exact revenge on the outstanding offensive show that is the Houston Texans? All eyes will be on Manning and the Colts as they look to show the world that their reign over the AFC South is not quite finished.
3. College Football heads into Week 9 as conference play has fully struck for everyone. Boy has this season been unpredictable, as the number 1 teams have struggled the past few weeks. Can Auburn stop this trend as they sit atop the BCS Standings? There are plenty of notable matchups. First, there is a Big Ten battle in Iowa as the Spartans look to take care of business in their last major test of the season. Also, Missouri looks to show the world that their amazing victory over former number 1 Oklahoma was no fluke. This will be an intense battle of Missouri’s stellar offense vs Nebraska’s outstanding defense.
2. The NBA tips off tomorrow night with a major Eastern Conference matchup between the highly touted Heat and the always tough Boston Celtics. Will the amazing Miami trifecta live up to the hype and show the world that they are the team to beat in the East?
1. The World Series starts Wednesday night in San Francisco. Who would have guessed this matchup? I know that I sure didn’t. I had the Yankees taking down the Phillies since March in my MLB preview. But what remarkable stories for both of these great teams. You have to be happy for Josh Hamilton in his amazing comeback to the game of baseball. Can Tim Lincecum and the Giants great defense hold the great Ranger’s offense in check? Though this may not be the most highly touted World Series in recent memory, it should be very exciting as two pretty evenly matched teams go to battle. Will Nolan Ryan come out of retirement to throw and inning for the Rangers?
So there you have this weeks version of the “Nickel.”
Let me hear your thoughts.
Stay tuned for the next edition of TheSportsKraze.