The “Weekly Nickel” is back and ready to provide you with the top 5 happenings in sports for the upcoming week. What a week last week was. And what a week this promises to be.
5. A fire sale in Dallas? Keep a keen eye on “America’s Team” after a humiliating 45 to 7 loss at the hands of Green Bay in the Sunday Night game. The heavy favorites in the NFC East now sit at 1 and 7. The actions of Jerry Jones should provide for much entertainment. Also keep an eye on Minnesota to see what happens to Brad Childress. These should both be fun storylines to follow.
4. The World Series is over. And you know what that means. Free Agency has begun! Some of the big names out there are Cliff Lee, Carl Crawford, Adrian Beltre, and Jayson Werth. Also there is a guy they call “The Captain,” Derek Jeter, that is on the open market. Will Jeter remain in Pinstripes? All eyes are always on the Yankees during free agency and rightfully so. Make your move.
3. The NBA treks on highlighted by 3 major matchups this week. Tonight, the two leaders in the Southeast Division square off in Orlando for divisional supremacy. Can the Hawks remain atop the Southeast over the Magic? Then fast forward to Thursday. The two favorites in the East, the Celtics and Heat square off for Round 2 in Miami. Can the Heat redeem themselves after an embarrassing loss in the opener? Then finally on Friday, arguably the two most exciting young teams in the League do battle in Oklahoma City. The Trailblazers take on the Thunder in a matchup that nobody will want to miss. I love this game.
2. Gridiron play continues at the Collegiate Level. Though there are not too many marquee matchups between ranked foes in the Week 11 College Football stratosphere, this is the time of year where there are upsets galore. So pay close attention and expect ranked teams to go down.
1. The NFL is entering Week 10. There are two big time matchups in my eyes. The week starts with a bang with the first Thursday night game of the year in Atlanta. AFC North leading Baltimore heads down to Georgia to take on the NFC South leading Falcons. These are arguably the two best teams in their respective conferences. Super Bowl preview? It’s a possibility. The other major matchup occurs in the Monday Night Game. In an NFC East rumble, the Eagles fly to the Nation’s Capital to take on their old savior Donovan Mcnabb. Can Vick provide more fireworks?
So there you have it. What a week we have in store. Great football, great basketball, and of course the business of baseball unfolding before our very eyes. It does not get any better.
Let me hear your thoughts. What is your version of the “Weekly Nickel” or do you agree with mine?
Stay tuned for the next edition of TheSportsKraze.