By Josh Kramer
The MLB playoffs are under way and have been a slug fest thus far. College Football this weekend was defined by blowouts. And the NFL slate was filled with improbable comeback victories. Last week was great. But do not sleep on this upcoming week.
Here are the events to keep an eye on.
5. It could be a do or die type of week in terms of NBA action. Expect to learn more about what the future holds in terms of the 2011/2012 season, Kobe Bryant’s vacation plans, and more. I have a feeling that we may know whether we are playing half a season or no season at all by weeks end (the chances of a full season are all but finished).
4. NHL preseason hockey is over. And despite the continued absence of Sid “The Kid” from true regular season play, the 2011/2012 year will begin. Thursday night, the pucks will drop. Three games are scheduled.
-Philadelphia Flyers vs Boston Bruins
-Montreal Canadians at Toronto Maple Leafs
-Pittsburgh Penguins at Vancouver Canucks
Can Tim Thomas and the Bruins repeat as Stanley Cup Champions? The 82-regular season journey officially beings Thursday.
3. The second part of the College Football season begins with conference play in full swing. Week 6 will surely be exciting. Hopefully there will be less blowouts than we had to withstand in Week 5. The following are the matchups to keep a close eye on in Week 6.
-Boise State at Fresno State (The Broncos WAC Tour continues)
-Oklahoma vs Texas (Possibly one of the last editions of the Red River Rivalry)
-Florida at LSU (Gators hope for better luck in Baton Rouge than they had with the Crimson Tide)
-Auburn at Arkansas (Two SEC powers coming off of huge wins)
-Ohio State at Nebraska (Could Ohio State fall to 0 and 2 in conference play at Memorial Stadium)
(All picks for the big games will be released in my weekly College Football picks on Thursday)
2. One month of NFL Football is nearly complete, outside of tonight’s game in Tampa Bay. The Lions are apparently the real deal. There are question marks galore regarding Fitzpatrick and the Bills following a heartbreaking loss in Cincinnati. And the “Dream Team” continues to not play so “Dreamy.” Here are the matchups to keep a close eye on in Week 5.
-New Orleans at Carolina (Who will throw for more yards, Newton or Brees)
-New York (Jets) at New England (Let the talking begin for this always exciting AFC East battle)
-Green Bay at Atlanta (Can Matty Ice and the Falcons get revenge on the defending Super Bowl Champions)
-Chicago at Detroit (An exciting NFC North affair on the big Monday Night Stage)
(All of the picks for Week 5 will be included in the weekly “TheSportsKraze Pick’em Challenge” on Friday)
1. Postseason baseball is in full swing. After arguably the greatest night of baseball in my lifetime last Wednesday, the real October fun has begun. I am not sure how you could not be at least a little bit excited for playoff baseball after the way the regular season concluded. Make sure to tune in and enjoy all the best of five divisional series. All four matchups are very solid and I do not expect any sweeps.
Stay tuned for the next edition of TheSportsKraze.