I said it the in preseason. I said it a few weeks ago. And now I am going to say it again. The Chargers are a playoff team out of the AFC, and possibly a Super Bowl contender. Though they started the year at 2 and 5, I never counted the Bolts out.
Here are 5 reasons why..
1. Number 1, quarterback play. They have Philip Rivers behind center. Rivers for all the trash talking he does and all the people he has pissed off over the years, has been a mar of consistency. Whether you like the guy or not, he can really play. He is currently sporting the 2nd highest QB Rating in the League (behind Michael Vick), he has thrown for the most yards in the League (3,177), and he has thrown the most TD passes in the League. Give the guy credit where credit is due.
2. Number 2, the Chargers also have the best Tight End in the NFL. Gates has 40 receptions and over 660 yards receiving this year. Plus 9 touchdown catches. And he has not even played the last two weeks. Also he has an astounding 14 catches of 20 or more yards. How many receivers have more than 14 of these?
3. Number 3, as the age-old saying goes, “Defense Wins Championships.” The Chargers have the number 1 ranked defense in the entire NFL. They give up just 271 yards a game. The Steelers give up 302, the Ravens give up 312, the Colts give up 344, and the Patriots give up 398. This team is great against both the pass and run. They are 2nd in the AFC against the run at 86 yards allowed a game and first against the pass.
4. Number 4, they are in the AFC West. Lets be entirely real. KC and Oakland are solid teams that have made big time improvements from last season, but do you really see either of these teams out doing SD down the stretch? Kansas City has lost 2 of their last 3 and Oakland just got embarrassed by the Steelers on Sunday. Also the Chargers get a another shot at both of these divisional opponents.
5. Number 5, San Diego has a winning mentality. It is hard to bet against a team that has won the division 4 straight years. Winning is contagious. San Diego has traditionally been a slow starter during the past decade. They always get hot down the stretch though. Currently Rivers and the boys are on a 3 game winning streak and look to be getting stronger every week.
Stats do not lie. Any team that is first in the NFL in both total offense and total defense will win ball games. I know that at times stats are overanalyzed, but in this case, the stats are just too basic to overlook.
Expect the Chargers to bring hom the AFC West as nearly all predicted in the preseason. Feel free to jump back on the San Diego Bandwagon.
Stay tuned for the next edition of TheSportsKraze.